Convert Computer Files for Free Using Online File Converter Tool
Updated October 6, 2023
As time rolls forward it seems that the number of software applications grows substantially every year, and with this increase in software comes an influx of file formats (file types). No longer do we have a single type of file to store a text document. We now have:
- the “txt” file for simple text
- the “rtf” file for coloured or sized text
- the “doc” file for Microsoft Word’s tex
- the “odt” file for OpenOffice’s text.
With regards to pictures we have:
- the “gif” for clip art
- the “jpg” for photographs
- the “psd” file for specialty Photoshop pictures.
The major problem with file formats is that they can only be opened by specific programs. If you don’t own any programs which can open a particular type of file then you are going to have difficulties viewing it, editing it, and even printing it. Luckily with the advent of the Internet a number of free, easy to use, file conversion tools has emerged. One of the best is Zamzar due to its simplicity and extensive list of supported formats.
So how does one use Zamzar to convert a file? Let’s pretend we have a “gif” image named Portrait.gif and we would like to convert it to a “jpg”.
- Head over their homepage and familiarize yourself with its layout. You should see that, by default, the “convert files” tab is selected; this is what we want.
- Begin with step 1; click on the browse button and select Portrait.gif (for our example).
- Click on the convert file(s) menu and, under the image formats section, select “jpg”.
- Enter your email address into the text box located under step 3.
- Hit the convert button.
Within a minute or two you will receive an email from Zamzar specifying that your file has been converted and is ready to be downloaded. Click on the appropriate link within the email and you will be taken to a webpage where you can download the converted version of your file. That’s it!
As you can see, the great thing about online file converters is that you need not install any additional software on your computer. All you need is an Internet connection and a browser.