How to Find Someone on Venmo- Different Ways
Updated October 6, 2023
Venmo by Paypal is a popular payment platform that is widely used among friends, and businesses and is highly beneficial for managing finances. Thanks to its easy-to-use interface, sending and receiving payment has become a hassle-free task.
Want to split a bill with a friend? No problem. Search for the friend’s account on Venmo, add the amount, and hit send. Done and Dusted. It is not as easy as it seems. Finding people on Venmo can get a bit tricky given its widespread usage.
To assist you in locating someone’s Venmo account and help you figure out why your account might not be showing to other people, we have come up with a comprehensive guide that will surely fix your problem. Let’s Dive In.
5 Different Ways to Find Someone On Venmo
1. Use Venmo’s Search Option
If you are looking for someone’s Venmo account to share or receive payments, look for them in the app’s search box.
- Before using the search box make sure your app is updated to the latest version available
- On the top left corner of the app, you will find a three-line icon, press it to find further features
- As the sidebar opens, you will see the ‘Search People’ option right below the ‘Home’ option.
- Once you click the ‘Search People’ option, you will see the top Venmo users and a search bar at the top.
- Add the username or name you have of the person you are looking to find and press search.
- You will find a bunch of search results if you find your respective account among other search results, click on the profile, and double-check the information, and click the ‘Add Friend’ button.
- You can also directly press the ‘Pay or Request ‘ button if you don’t wish to add them as a friend.
2. Scan QR Code for Instant Connection
Venmo also offers to connect instantly via a QR code. This method is incredibly convenient and quick but is only beneficial if you are physically present with the person holding the account information that you want to add. Follow these steps to scan the QR code.
- Open the updated version of Venmo and press on the three-line icon at the top left corner of the app
- Tap on the ‘Search People’ option in the sidebar. Once you click it you will be directed to another page.
- On the Search People page, you will see the ‘Scan Code’ option just beneath the input box.
- Once you press the Scan Code option, it will go to the next page with a scanner.
- Ask the person/friend to open his QR code, bring your phone directly to the center of the QR code and scan it.
- Once the app recognizes the QR code linked with the account, you can access it and send requests to pay or add as a friend.
- You can also share your QR code from the scanner to connect more easily.
3. Locate via Venmo’s Built-in User Lookup Feature
- Open the Venmo app and go to its user lookup feature.
- Add the phone number of the person you are looking for the account and press ‘lookup’.
- The search results will show the accounts linked with the contact number.
4. Locate Using Email Address
If you don’t have the person’s phone number and username, you can try their email to find their Venmo account.
- Open the Venmo app and find a search bar at the top
- Add the email address in the box and click search.
- Find the account in the search results and request to pay.
5. Locate Through Mutual Connections Via Social Media
If none of the above-mentioned ways work out for you, you can try finding them through social media connections.
- Connect your Facebook, Instagram, and other socials to your Venmo account.
- Go to settings and find ‘Friends & Social’.
- Tap your friends’ socials and see if the person you are looking for is connected to them.
- If you find their social media connected to their profile, you can see their Venmo account.
Reasons Why You Can’t Find Someone’s Account on Venmo
If you have tried each way to find someone’s account on Venmo but still can’t find it, there’s a chance you might be making some sort of mistake.
1. Spelling Error in Username
One of the primary reasons for getting failed search results is putting incorrect information in the search box. Make sure you are not making a spelling error or adding incorrect credentials.
2. Denied Device’s Contact Permission
If you have not allowed your Venmo app to sync your contacts you won’t find the contact in your Venmo. Go to settings and allow Venmo to upload your device contacts on the app.
3. Unfriended By The User
It is possible that the account you are searching for has unfriended you in the past. If he has turned on the setting for appearing in friend’s friend list, then you might not see it either
4. New or Unverified Account
Another reason why you might not be able to see someone’s account on Venmo is if their account is brand new. New accounts take time to get verified so you might see it after a couple of days.
What to Do If Someone Can’t Find My Account on Venmo?
Normally if someone puts correct information in the search box, they are successful in finding the account holder. But in case someone is unable to locate your account on Venmo, there might be a system error in Venmo. Tell them to keep checking in a few hours.
Changing your username to something funky will also help others to find your account conveniently.
Finding someone on Venmo to reconnect with friends or to send payments to acquaintances can get challenging. If you don’t have their complete information like username and phone number, don’t worry you can still find them. The primary factor is that you should have some sort of information to input in the search box. By following our 5 step guide, you will be able to find anyone on Venmo without any hassle.