A file host is that on which you can upload a file and then share it with your blog/website visitors and friends .Your visitors can download the file with a specific .
Needs of using a filehost other than your webhost
If you are using shared web hosting then generally you will get following facilities in most of the webhostings .
Unlimited bandwidth /Transfer
But in Terms and conditions of all shared hosting plans it is clearly said that if a shared hosting account affects other hosting accounts shared on the same server then your hosting account may be suspended .So if you share large files [ more than 10 mb ] and these files are downloaded heavily then it will surely take much more bandwidth and may be possible that the shared server may be overloaded.
If you are on blogspot then you can not upload files other than images and videos.
So it is better if you host your large files on file sharing systems .
Most of free file hosts have following great disadvantages
- Waiting time up to 2 minutes
- Have to enter CAPTCHA text
- No download resume support
- No one can download more than one file at a time
- A novice internet visitor may be confused on download page due to advertises ,CAPTCHA text and time countdown .
Here are some free file hosts offering resume support and parallel downloads
- It is a clean and feature rich filehost
- Resume capability for broken downloads
- Supports parallel downloads
- Hotlink protection
- Direct working link and no separate download page [exclusive feature]
It has only one good quality for free user is that it supports resume for broken download several time.
Most of file hosts delete a file if it is not downloaded till one or two months .So you should register on filehost to check the file downloads status instead of anonymous upload.If you find that the file may be deleted due to inactivity then you can yourself download that file once to save it .
Let me know if you have any question about file hosting .Feel free to post a comment .