Dell XPS 12 Convertible Review
Updated October 6, 2023
We’ve been waiting for a new hybrid Ultrabook with Windows 8 and the Dell XPS 12 might just be what you have been looking for. This hybrid Ultrabook changes from a laptop to a tablet and vice versa with no problem at all. This is only one of the excellent features that the Dell XPS 12 boasts of.
The design is more suited to a laptop than a tablet but given its many pros, we are not complaining.
- The Dell XPS 12’s soft touch panels and rounded edges make it easy to hold.
- Both the glass touch pad and the magnesium keyboard deck have a soft touch finish as does the carbon fiber lid. The touch pad is a click pad with the left and right buttons on the surface of the pad.
- Typing is a breeze with the island style keys which have a matte finish coating.
- The lid and the deck are aluminum rimmed.
- The screen rotates within the frame and has a magnetic lock in.
- It weighs 3.4 pounds and is slightly heavier than other Ultrabooks in the market today.
- The screen of 12.5 inch has a full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution. Enjoy the brightness of 400-nits as well.
- The display is also a touchscreen; it tracks 10 points at a time. With the Gorilla glass cover, it should prevent it from wear and tear.
- While there is no Ethernet port you will be able to go online with the 802.11n WLAN connection.
- You can also use the Bluetooth 3.0 for wireless peripherals.
- On the tablet’s right side, it has two 3.0 USB ports, one with Charge and Sleep.
- There is also a DC connector and a button which enables you to check the battery life.
- The left side has the volume control buttons, a sliding power switch and a button to lock the screen rotation.
- The Dell XPS 12 also comes fitted with a 256 GB SSD.
- This Ultrabook has an Intel Core i5-3517U (1.9GHz) processor and 4GB of RAM, upgradable to 8GB. Despite the ultra low voltage processor you can be sure of getting your work done efficiently on it.
- Playing casual games such as Angry Birds or even doing multimedia work can all be done without any problem.
- Long battery life is a big plus for this Ultrabook. It can last for 5 hours 9 minutes which is excellent when you have a device that is designed for portability.
- Note that this device is targeted at consumers. With Windows 8 Professional, an enterprise focused configuration is available.
- Amazon’s Kindle App, Windows 8 App for Skype, Amazon store’s direct link, Microsoft Live Essentials 2012 and a preview to the 2013 version of Microsoft Office are loaded on it.
- Other resources include Dell Shop, Dell Backup & Recovery, My Dell Support Center, a Starter Guide App for Windows 8.
- Anti Virus are both Microsoft’s Security Essentials and a trial of McAfee’s Windows 8 security app for 30 days.
With this device, Dell seems to have provided us with the answer to several problems this time around. With more pros than cons, this new Ultrabook is sure to be grabbed off the shelves right away.
Author Bio:- Ryan Larkin writes for www.broadbandproviders.com, the leading provider of the best value broadband internet – He writes about the latest in Technology and everything about the Internet.