Tagging is a very useful way to organize your blog posts and make your readers engaged with your blog. It describe your blog post, classify your articles and allow you to keep related articles in one place. Tagging is now very popular in social bookmarking websites like blogengage, delicious etc.. They use tags to organize and classify all the submitted entries in there respective tags.
In Search Engine Optimization Tags will help you if you are posting 2 or 3 blog posts daily. If you are posting 1 or 2 blog post in a month, then tags are no good for you. Tagging is only good for those blogs which have large amount of blog posts.
Little About Tags
1. Go for Categories instead of Tags if you are posting blog posts on monthly basis, and go for tags if you post 2 or 3 blog posts daily.
2. Make sure to show only titles of the articles in Tags. don’t show full posts or expert for the tags, it will create duplicate content issues for you.
3. Add nofollow attribute to your Tags, so to avoid any duplicate content issue.
4. You can add different tags as well as the same tags for different blog posts
5. Add popular and useful tags in your blog posts, because it will tell search engine that what exactly the blog post is about. Another benefit of using useful tags is that people searching in technorati and other such website can easily find your blog posts.
6. You can go for both Tags and Categories, but only if you add nofollow attribute to your Tags.
Share you experience and knowledge about wordpress tagging. What you think about tags importance in a blog ranking? Is you see any role of tagging in search engine optimization process?