Network monitoring has become an important activity in the security practices of any company regardless of its size. Monitoring is undoubtedly essential for a large sized business but even for a small sized business. And this is where people oftentimes dispute that small business does not require security. And these small companies are the targets of most of the hackers and spammers. This is because they have a feeling that the smaller companies online do not have foolproof network monitoring and try to take advantage of that. However, regardless of size of an online business, it is equally important to have full-fledged network monitoring. But let us understand, what network monitoring actually is.
Network monitoring explained
This is basically a series of methods that are carried out so that the security of the network can be maintained at all times round the clock. Monitoring involves many activities that include monitoring various vulnerabilities that the network maybe subjected to.
Also included in the process is monitoring the software applications – the expiry and renewal of licenses, watching for spyware, mails, server applications, hardware devices, viruses, and security loopholes, and security patches. Moreover, if the network administrator senses any problem that might crop up in the future, the same can also be prevented by taking the appropriate measures.
Methods of network monitoring
The network methods help you in taking care of the tasks that have to be carried out for maintaining the security of the network. These tools are usually user friendly and can be used even by beginners.
Given below are few network monitoring methods that you can make use of for your network.
- Penetration testing- In this test, the methods used by hackers are employed by the IT staff to test whether or not the network is vulnerable. The main objective of the test is to ascertain whether or not the hackers have knowledge about the vulnerabilities of the network.
- Firewall Monitoring – This is a method in which the firewall is tested whether it is functioning in an optimum manner. Firewalls usually keep track of the outgoing as well as incoming connections in a network.
- Packet Sniffing – This is basically a program that keeps track of every information packet that enters and leaves the network. With this program, you will also be able to keep track whether or not hackers have installed any network monitoring software to track business information and procedures.
- Vulnerability Scanning – The main aim of employing this method is to find out occasionally if there are any loopholes in the security make up of the network so that these loopholes are not made use of in an appropriate manner by the hackers.
- Intrusion detection – This particular program can be executed manually. Nevertheless, the IT team prefers installing a program for the same. It detects malware, viruses, vulnerabilities, and intrusion activities by hackers.
With the help of these methods, you can definitely keep your network secured from online intruders and trespassers.
Author Bio:- Emmily Rose is the one of leading writes in the field of technology. Now she is researching in the area of server hosting and other server monitoring.