Computerization of this world changed human performance scenario to a great extent and that too beyond measurement. For instance, Now you can send vital information all across the globe with a single mouse click, thanks to internet connectivity. Sadly, it is this wide connectivity and popularity among people, internet has also increased chances for computer crimes. Internet crimes or computer crimes are widely known as ‘Cyber Crimes’.
‘Cyber Laws’ is something new in the judiciary system but has gained a lot of attention lately. The term cyber crime is something very synonymous with conventional crime, the only difference being medium of execution. There are majorly two types of cyber crimes, the first one is in which computers are the main targets and these include cases of data damage, malicious code and even criminal data access. The second one is in which computer is only a tool using which conventional crimes are committed for eg cyber terrorism, spamming, cyber stalking and many more.
This is where a website consultant or a vendor comes into scene. Although not aware of all the cyber laws present till date, a website vendor can advise you on some of the most vital cyber laws while creating your site.
This may include common knowledge of copy rights or even protecting the content of your own website. Explaining you all the rights you posses as a website owner is also one the tasks a website vendor may do while developing your website. A vendor can also assist you by offering you information on different cyber laws to protect data. Besides all of this, a vendor can also offer you information on any new cyber law that you may not be aware of till know. Cyber laws may vary from nation to nation, one recent example can be of the cookie law released in the United Kingdom, which prevents the website from saving any user browsing data. As per the Cookie Law, websites in the United Kingdom cannot save cookie files without informational consent from the surfer.
It is after the implementation of such law, websites now have a pop-up window, which seeks the consent of the visitor for saving cookies files. Such files are used by websites to analyze the browsing pattern of visitors based on which advertisements are then posted on a user window. With hacking not anymore a new thing for all of us, do you think such rules and regulations can prevent online forgery or cyber crime? Technology has developed at a rapid rate but still people do not prefer shopping online due to fear of personal or bank account details getting hacked. With the rise of cyber crime, need of stringent cyber laws have also increased to curb the same and to promote a risk free shopping experience.
Classes of Cyber Crimes
Over the years there have been three major classes of cyber crimes:
Unauthorized access of computer system cases, which involves hacking or stealing usernames and passwords to gain access over personal information of the respective user. These kind of backdoor access are organized with the help of Trojan Horse. Releasing malicious programs like Trojan House, worms or computer viruses etc. The last class includes cyber stalking a user or online harassment .
Direct implications of Cyber crimes
- Decrease in sales
- Decrease in staff output due to network delays
- Loss of personalized information like research work
- Disruption in communication process
Indirect implications of Cyber crimes
- Credibility issue in our financial system
- Brand image is tarnished in the market
- Cyber crimes affect business to business relationship in the market
- Sense of trust in state policies and government agencies is lost
Preventing Cyber Crime
As netizens there are certain precautions that we should consider for a safe and secure online experience. Here are some of them:
- First thing to do will be to keep personal information to your self and avoid sharing the same online.
- Avoid sharing any photographs with online chat friends or strangers.
- Installing latest version of anti-virus on your system can offer you a good line of defense against internet threats like viruses and malware.
- Keeping back up of your valuable data is a good option to avoid problems like virus contamination.
- Avoid sending credit card information to sites that are unsecured and don’t have any valid certificate.
- Installing safety programme that offers you control over site cookies and saves you from being tracked by websites.
- Putting host-based intrusions detection devices on servers will help you keep track of irregularities on your website traffic.
- Use of firewall is advised.
Why Cyber attacks are so popular?
- Cheaper than traditional cheating methods
- Tracking cyber crimes are not easy
- Exact locations cannot be tracked easily
- Absence of physical barrier in the internet world
- Cyber crimes affect large number of people
The fact that human mind has unfathomable power is undeniable, which is why internet crimes are increasing at a tremendous rate. Even history has witnessed some of the greatest internet security gone kaput by the hands of hackers, who have easily got away too. The only way to curb such crime is to remain aware of the cyber laws that we have today, that can either be through internet or through website/IT vendors. Information Technology Act has to be balanced in such a way that it proves too stringent for people who are involved in cyber crimes and at the same time it should never hamper the growth of Internet industry.
Author Bio:– Maneet Puri at present is heading a quality web design firm located at New Delhi, India. With unmatchable expertise in technical domain, he has been offering professional web consultation services to his clients located all round the globe. He is also an avid writer and some of his commended work have been published on renowned websites.