Nowadays people have started using VoIP instead of traditional phones because VoIP provides far much better facilities to its customers such as flexibility, clearance of voice and it is economical as well. But side by side it is facing many problems. One of most important and threatening problem is security issues.
A simple attack on the network can make the server down even for days, which disrupts the content of calls and may lead to exposure of trade secrets. This problem is beyond the cost of making long calls, which the hackers used to make in previous days.
Customer requires that its information should be kept confidential, so security issue is the most important to be discussed.
Following are some of the threats and problems, which VoIP is facing:
- A hacker who has registered IP phone by accessing through call server can then use all the VoIP services of the company.
- Most of the times hacker can even use the restricted services of the company.
- VoIP is not like phone line which has some physical security, it’s Voice over Internet Protocol which is passed through different computers in the form of packets, on which we have no control. So there are higher chances of encryption of the data.
- Virus is also one of the major problem effecting VoIP. Because virus is something that enters into your computer and starts working automatically by producing its own IP address and damaging the VoIP applications.
- ARP (Address Resolution Protocol) refers to the lekage of information during the call or transfer of data, without knowing the other two persons that the information is being leaked. The attacker gets full control over the VoIP application, hence producing different types of problems like producing gaps in the call etc.
Solutions to the problems
- VoIP application should introduce PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) a security process, to make sure that all data is being transferred securly and confidentially.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network ), a basic kind of security mechanism. In this process the two communicators create a type of link by the layers as in ATM or MPLS.
- SRTP (Secure Real-time Protocol) is a subset of Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) which offers confidential and replay protection for RTP traffic. SRTP can also achieve low packet expansion.