Search engine optimization has become an essential part of web industry as it helps websites rank higher on search engine result pages. SEO is a complicated and long term process, and can be done both on page and off page to increase a site’s visibility in search results. Unfortunately, there are not many educational courses on SEO and as a result, most SEO professionals gather knowledge as they work in a web development company. They read blogs, tutorials, and Google’s guidelines to create their own optimization strategies.
While learning new SEO techniques from blogs and tutorials is a good practice, you have to accept the fact that except a few high quality blogs, most sites offer low quality information and confuse the readers. They may offer you “10 tips to fight against Panda update”, but seldom clarify the basics of search engine optimization. If you are a SEO professional, then at first you must have strong understanding of the SEO fundamentals.
• It’s a Long Term Process- This is the first thing that you need to know. Algorithms change quite often and you have to modify your strategies accordingly time to time. Even if your site ranks at number 1 on SERPs for one month, there is no guarantee that it will remain at number 1 forever.
• Have Web Analytics- Use Google Analytics to know which part of your site is getting users’ attention and which parts are most neglected. Until you know what is not working in your favor, you can’t improve it.
• Improve the Layout and Content- Every website owner dreams that his site will rank at the top of the SERPs, but be honest and ask yourself, is my website design and content good enough to get the number 1 spot? If the answer is no, then try to make the layout even better and write quality content to make your site noticeable.
• Include a Sitemap- Search engines crawl the sitemaps to know your website’s page structure. Therefore, you must add a site map to help search engines scan your site efficiently.
• Create SEO Friendly URLs- Use keywords in the page URLs to help Google and users realize the content of a particular webpage. If the keyword is large, use hyphens in between to help Google bots. Hyphens are treated as a space and hence help Google understand that the words are related to each other. For instance, xyz.com/seo-tips-techniques
• Keyword Research Is Important- After Panda and Penguin update, people have realized the true meaning of keyword research. If you are targeting “web design” keyword, then write web design related topics. It’s not mandatory to include the keyword in every paragraph of an article, but the topic must be on web design. Use keywords not more than 7-8 times in a 500 word article, because otherwise Google may punish you.
• Give Relevant Title and Meta Description- Page title is one of the most important on page SEO element. Meta description is not so important for SEO anymore, but it appears as a description below search results and gives users an idea of your site content.
• Use Keywords as Anchor Text- For internal linking; use the keywords as anchor text. Using a keyword like “web design” and linking it with the “website design services” page is far more intelligent idea, than “click here”.
Don’t forget that keywords may bring traffic to your website, but only great design, content and usability can retain their attention for a long time and encourage them to visit your site repeatedly. These days, Google pays attention to the value of content and if users leave a site very fast, the search engine giant considers that site as spam. Therefore, always think about the users while optimizing your website.
Author Bio:- Kausik is a well known and experienced content writer writes article on different Internet Marketing topics. In this article he wants to explain the fundaments of Search Engine Optimization that everyone should know before going to optimize any website.