≡ Menu

Beginners Guide to Social Media Marketing

Social media marketing is one of the most effective ways to get exposure for your business, but many people don’t know how to go about it. Most businesses make a lot of posts, but they don’t get much traffic in return. There are certain things you have to do in order to get a good response, so just follow these tips to improve your marketing success.

Make Goals

Make a list of goals before you make another post. What exactly do you want from social media marketing? Do you just want traffic, or do you want to get that first client? Knowing what you want from social media marketing will enable you to make posts that will work towards that goal. Having a goal also gives you a benchmark.

Judging how effective your recent posts and activity are will help you shape your activity to best serve your needs. For example, if your recent posts are getting good traffic, but you aren’t getting any new buyers, then what can you change to get more buyers?

Be Social

Most businesses seem to forget that social media marketing is about being social. While making posts and content for people to read is somewhat social, it is better if you actually talk with people. Connect with some clients and talk to them over your chosen social network.

People like businesses that are willing to be social, and you will often get a better response if you talk to potential customers.

Elevate the Brand

Get people to know your brand. If your brand is good, then people will be more willing to buy from you. The best way to do this isn’t to throw your brand name in every post. That would actually turn off potential customers.

When you make content, such as blog posts or content on article directories, add a small paragraph at the bottom that mentions your brand. Be sure to prominently feature your brand name on your website. This will make people more aware of your brand.

Regularly Post

The only way to effectively market yourself on a social network is to regularly post. You should make a posting schedule that you can stick with. One post a day is effective for new members, but making several a day can be better.

At the same time, make sure you are not obnoxious. Making 10 posts or more a day can become annoying. Try to stick to a limit of five major posts, but you can go over this limit if you are just responding to people’s questions.

The 80/20 Rule

Many social marketing gurus follow the 80/20 rule. This is an effective marketing rule that suggests you actively promote yourself 20 percent of the time. The other 80 percent of your posts should be informative, they should promote other businesses or services that would be helpful to your clients or they should be about other useful resources for followers.

It might seem a little odd to only promote yourself 20 percent of the time, but this rule has proven effective for social media marketing. People are often not interested in constantly reading advertising or marketing copy. They are more interested in gaining information or being entertained.

Use the 80 percent of your posts to teach or entertain your followers. Use the other 20 percent to actively speak about your business. Many marketing gurus follow this method, and it has proven to be very successful.


Starting out with social media marketing can be a little daunting at first. There is a lot to learn, and it is very easy to mess it up. Start by defining your goals to understand exactly what you want from social media marketing. You should then get into actively posting, or making at least one post a day. Connecting with potential customers can also prove effective, as people like social businesses.

While performing your marketing, make sure you follow the 80/20 rule. This will help you capture new customers, and your followers will have a good opinion about your business. Just follow these simple steps, and you should be on your way to creating a large social media presence in no time.

Author Bio:- Becky Harris is a blogger for upack portable storage containers and writes on a variety of topics.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.